Five Reasons to Encourage Feedback on TripAdvisor
How to ask guests to review your hotel on TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor is an innovative online database, which includes information about hotels, restaurants, attractions and destinations. It is fueled by customer feedback, and guests from around the world leave comments and give rankings. Then, people who are planning trips can use TripAdvisor to learn more about possible destinations, sorting through the reviews to find just the right option.
Anyone can leave a review on TripAdvisor, and while hotels cannot make guests leave comments, it is easy to remind and encourage them to do so. Just consider the benefits.
1. Exposure. More travelers than ever are using TripAdvisor to help make their travel plans. Hotels with the highest customer ratings will appear higher in the search results and receive a higher ranking. This can dramatically increase a hotel’s exposure with potential customers, leading to more bookings and increased profits. There is not a direct relationship between online popularity and sales, but the two are increasingly linked. Hotels would be foolish to think otherwise, especially amongst younger travelers.
2. Empowerment. When planning a vacation, potential customers like to read reviews to see what the hotel has to offer. By reading reviews, they can learn about a hotel’s top notch maid service or nicely heated pool. Reviews can give potential customers critical insights into the perks, which can help them make a final decision. While most of this information may be included on a hotel website, customers tend to trust the credibility of customer reviews over promotional content.
3. Education. Not every review will be positive. While this may dissuade some hotel managers from pushing customers to TripAdvisor, this should not be the case. Negative reviews may discourage some future guests but they also provide a fantastic opportunity for growth. By looking at customer reviews, hotel owners can see the strengths and weaknesses of their hotel. This can help guide policy and inspire important shifts in training, maintenance and overall development.
4. Eagerness. When a guest leaves a review on TripAdvisor, it creates a bridge between that customer and the hotel. Many guests will leave signed reviews that include their email address, which makes it possible to follow up with the guest and express gratitude for their business. It may seem like a small thing, but this kind of interaction can foster lifelong relationships with customers. This way, customers feel important and valuable, and such interactions will often make them eager to come back for a return visit or to recommend the hotel to friends.
5. Easy. In addition to all these benefits, encouraging guests to leave a note on TripAdvisor is easy. It can be as simple as reminding guests about TripAdvisor during check out. If there are computers available for public use in the lobby, be sure to have TripAdvisor as a bookmark. Include a suggestion on the paperwork. If customers booked the room online, consider providing a follow up email, thanking them for their business and providing a convenient link to TripAdvisor as a place to provide feedback. These steps are small and easy to integrate into any procedure with little extra time or expense.
Hotel managers are always looking for new ways to improve. Increasing a presence on TripAdvisor is a smart way to learn, grow and connect, all of which ultimately promotes business success for years to come.